Huynh Thi Thu Thuy is a Special Counsel at Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers, practising in the firm’s Corporate and M&A and Banking & Finance practice groups.
Thuy obtained her Bachelor of Laws in Vietnam and her Master of Laws at La Trobe University in Melbourne.
Thuy specialises in M&A and financial transactions, and she has advised clients from a broad spectrum of industries, including banking, real estates, insurance and consumer goods. Her multi-sectorial experience allows her to provide solutions that not only untangle complex Vietnamese regulations, but that are also commercially sound.
She is capable in assisting in all key stages of M&A transactions – from due diligence to structuring to high-level negotiations.
Thuy also actively practice in employment and general corporate and commercial matters. She is experienced in corporate restructurings, and has covered the corporate and employment aspects of such transactions for multinational companies.
Prior to joining Rajah & Tann LCT Lawyers, Thuy worked at one of Vietnam’s largest law firms, with a focus on M&A transactions and general corporate advisory.
Corporate and M&A
- Advised Fairfax Financial Holdings in its strategic investment into HOSE-listed BIDV Insurance Corporation for approximately US$60 million.
- Acted for Keppel Land in its acquisition and divestment in various projects in Vietnam;
- Assisted one of the largest tourism and hospitality groups in Asia in its joint venture with Vietnam’s largest privately owned conglomerate for the development of a US$2+ billion casino and resort project in Vietnam.
- Assisted in all phases of the transaction (advisory, LDD, transaction documents, closing) of Mapletree Investment’s acquisition of Kumho Asiana Plaza, a Grade-A mixed use property located in the heart of Ho Chi Minh City.
- Acted for a foreign investor in its joint venture with Vietnamese energy companies for the development of onshore wind projects in Vietnam.
- Acted as Vietnamese counsel to Sea Limited in connection with its US$884 million initial public offering on the New York Stock Exchange, with an over-allotment option for the underwriters to purchase an additional 8.84 million American Depository Shares.
- Acted as Vietnamese counsel to Crystal International Group in connection with its HK$ 4.5 billion IPO on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Assisted in all phases of the transaction of the Singapore investor’s divestment in its US$25 million real estate project.
- Advised a Japanese investor on its strategic equity acquisition of a Vietnamese foodstuffs manufacturer.
- Advised Koninklijke Philips on its global restructuring at the onshore Vietnam level.
Banking & Finance
- Advised Maybank on the grant of a cross-border secured term loan and revolving credit facility to a foreign-invested Vietnamese borrower.
- Advised DBS Bank (Vietnam) on various regulatory and compliance matters in relation to its Vietnam operations.
- Acted as Vietnam counsel for CMX Sunseap Vietnam Solar Power in the financing transactions for the US$150 million solar farm in Ninh Thuan Province.
- Acted for Maybank in its US$20 million facility to Song Ma for the financing of the Van Chan Hydropower Project.
- Acted for E.SUN Bank in its US$10 million facility to a Vietnam bank.
- Acted for Innoven Capital in its US$8 million venture debt loan to Tiki.
- Assisted Freepoint Commodities on trading in oil and refined oil products in Vietnam.
- Assisted Nordea Bank on its legal matters in Vietnam.
General Corporate Commercial
- Advised on different employment matters including the registration of labor internal regulations and employment restructuring for the GSK's global acquisition of Novartis portfolio.
- Assisted BASF and SANOFI on various pharmaceutical matters.
- Advised a Thai investor on its collaboration with a Vietnam local operator to conduct the intermediary payment services and the e-commerce business in Vietnam.
- Advised GRAB on the set-up and consolidation of its operations in Vietnam.
- Advised on Vietnam employment restructuring for Verizon's global acquisition of Yahoo!.
- Advised multinational clients, including VISA, Towers Watson, Marks & Spencer, ICOF, Menarini, Robert Walters, Institute of International Education (IIE), H&M, Wipro, etc. on various employment matters as drafting labor contracts, employee handbook and advising other employment issues.